October 25, 2011

give and take


Last night, I FINALLY purchased the boots that I have been wanting FOR--EVER! My husband was sick of my constant whining and ridiculous schemes to earn more $$ to buy them [egg donation was looking pret-ty good], so we made a compromise...and what to do ya know? The boots are on their way to me as we speak!! 
Can't wait for you to see them in all their glory :) 

Because of this act of self-indulgence, I have to watch my spending and use my creativity with the things I already have. I have to keep convincing myself that this is a good thing, but like all addictions, there will be withdrawals.

So instead of going grocery shopping tonight (yes, boots are worth more than food in this house), I found a recipe that I could make with what I already had in the fridge. 

Taco Salad w/Ground Turkey

Ingredients:
1/2 cup prepared salsa (as hot as you want...I'm a wimp so I chose mild)
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 tsp. canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground turkey
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 14-oz can kidney beans, drained (I used black beans instead because that's what I had)
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
8 cups shredded romaine lettuce (I also added a little spinach in with the lettuce)
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (didn't have cheddar so I threw in some mozzarella)

Directions:
1. Combine salsa and sour cream in a large bowl, set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often and crumbling with wooden spoon, until cooked through (about 5 min). Add tomatoes, beans, cumin, and chili powder; cook, stirring until the tomatoes begin to break down (about 2-3 min). Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and 1/4 cup salsa mixture.
3. Add lettuce to remaining salsa mixture in the large bowl, toss to coat. To serve, divide lettuce among 4 (we did 2 plates because we eat a lot after a hard day's work) plates, top with turkey mixture and sprinkle with cheese. 

Ha ha, do you like how step #2 is actually like 5 steps in one? I love when recipes do that, makes me think that it will take no time at all to make. But actually, this recipe only takes about 30 minutes, tops.  



Ok, so the pictures don't quite do it justice.....scout's honor it does NOT taste like pig slop. 
Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE to hear what you think! Thanks for leaving a message :)